As an experienced Certified IT Master Architect, Michael Leisch provides business intelligence (BI) technology solutions that integrate technologies to solve business problems. He performs all phases of systems development, and manages the BI systems department. His technical experience includes multi-terabyte data warehouse architecture and decision support system implementations, database implementations, Internet applications, and client server development.
He blends corporate experience with consulting experience to consistently implement cost reduction, best practices, and speedy startup, while successfully maintaining excellent employee and client relationships, and handling multi-million dollar contracts and clients with customer bases over one hundred million. Real world corporate experience built skills in leadership, strategic technology planning, budget management, and information delivery planning, as well as expert technical skills and success in matrix and line management organizations.
After building expertise by guiding people and projects in major organizations nationwide, Michael seeks an opportunity to devote this range of knowledge and experience, plus expert technical skills, to the long-term success of your organization.
3/12 to Present Loan Science, LLC
Director, Enterprise Architecture
- Provide architecture framework for an information driven business.
- Provide technical designs for new business initiatives
6/10 to 3/12 Hewlett-Packard Company
Data Warehouse Architect
- Provide data warehouse technical solutions for petabyte-scale enterprise data warehouse for HP
- Mentor data modelers and developers in architecture principles
- Led projects to retire legacy reporting assets to EDW to completion enabling first year cost savings of $100MM
4/09 to 06/10 GMAC Financial Services
Enterprise Data Architect
- Created enterprise data model for GMAC Insurance subsidiary as part of a multi-year project to replace core insurance applications with purchased package. Model became the focal point for specifying requirements for enhancements to the vendor’s package and as a tool to transform business functions to support the new package.
- Provide data warehouse modeling and source to target mapping for insurance model as part of the Enterprise Information Management initiative
- Contribute as Subject Matter Expert for selection of industry standard model for Bank Holding Company initiative.
9/08 to 1/09 Intersys Consulting
Business Intelligence Consultant
Business Intelligence Consultant at a local semi-conductor manufacturer
- Develop metadata architecture
- Lead the successful development of the initial proof of concept data mart using ER Studio, SQL Server, SSAS and Informatica
- Provide technical architecture and organizational consulting to the new data warehouse COE
8/06 to 9/08 Education Finance Partners
Director, Business Intelligence Systems
Education Finance Partners (start-up company) is a private student loan provider.
- Lead business intelligence design and development team
- Architect relational and star schema data models to integrate and store internal and external data for analytical and operational reporting
- Microsoft SQL Server and Business Objects environment
- Database design, implementation, programming and tuning
Management and insight provided took the company from $200MM to $1B and through a successful first capitalization of the loan portfolio.
8/96 to 8/06 IBM Global Services
Manager, Service Delivery Architecture
Engagements are summarized below to describe the depth and breadth of experience.
Manager, Service Delivery Architecture for Honeywell, a major US manufacturing company—4+ year engagement
- Led 25 architects and project managers
- Distributed systems technology on over 4000 geographically disbursed servers
- Achieved cost reduction of over 25% in 2003 and 2004
- Capital budget planning and control $40M annually
- Cost benefit and ROI analysis
- Technical standards, asset control, system analysis, infrastructure design, and project delivery, including multi-TB SAP migration
- SQL Server and Oracle Database infrastructure, including UNIX and Windows system configurations and IBM, HP and Sun hardware
Solution Architect for United Airlines
- Led design and installation of a multi-terabyte enterprise data warehouse
- Business solution included a time-boxed proof of concept of a data warehouse population project involving 5 corporate data sources and 3 business areas – Customer, Fares and Schedule Planning and Flight Operations.
- Technical solution included an initial 2.5 terabyte central data warehouse (planned to grow to 5 TB in 2 years) based on a 22-node RS6000/SP complex using DB2/UDB database.
- ERWin was used for logical and physical data modeling, source and target mapping, physical infrastructure requirements and design.
Business Intelligence Solution Architect for New Power Company, a deregulated utility start-up
- Michael’s group achieved business startup in 180 days.
- Business solution included a sales call center, web presence, and utility billing engine
- Technical solution included an Oracle based operational data store that provided a common integration point for multiple operational applications, a tactical decision support environment, and a data warehouse to provide strategic decision support.
- Applications integrated using ERWin, Oracle 9i, DB2/UDB and CA ERWin
Infrastructure Architect for Wells Fargo Bank
- Lead installation of multi-terabyte data warehouse on RS6000/SP system, with 16-node DB2/UDB EEE production warehouse, and 6-node development system
- Four decision support applications implemented in initial release.
- Installation and configuration support for Unix System Administration
- Support and training for Database Administration
- Project used DB2/UDB, SQL Server and ERWin
Data Architect for US Bank
The bank was developing Internet based, self-service, front-end for government and corporate credit card products support for a multi-million dollar federal contract.
- Performed platform evaluations and develop core architecture for data environment
- Established standards for data models and coordinated logical and physical data modelers
- Application implemented using DB2 for OS/390 and Microsoft SQL Server databases accessed via Java based OLTP application
- ERWin used for logical and physical data modeling, object and relational design for DB2 MVS environment
Infrastructure Architect for Bank of America
- Analyzed competing data warehouse architectures from two banks during a merger and offered recommendations for future course.
- Evaluated and implemented best practice processes
Infrastructure Architect and Team Lead for AT&T
- Technical leadership and training for a mixed team of consultants and customer implementation personnel
- Integration of hardware, software, database and application platforms for a mission critical OLTP application serving over 100 million customers
- Create platform/infrastructure architecture and implementation plans for RS-6000/SP using DB2/UDB
- Developed 40 TB high availability primary database cluster and 80 TB disaster recovery site
Infrastructure Architect for Nations Bank
- Provided technical leadership during project assessment/proposal phase for a data warehouse infrastructure-reengineering project
- Evaluated customer physical and technical architecture to provide customer with a logical view of their architecture, identify policy conflicts and recommend resolutions
Chief Architect for Hertz Equipment Rental
- Performed data warehouse readiness assessment
- Created logical architecture for an enterprise data warehouse
Platform Architect for telecommunications startup in investigative stage
- Created project and technology risk assessment for a major application development and outsourcing engagement
- Defined platform architecture for the back office application systems
Chief Architect for Chase Bank
- Designed logical and physical architectures for an enterprise data warehouse containing 1.7 TB data on a 133-node RS-6000/SP using DB2/PE
- Assisted the customer to define hardware and software selection criteria, implementation alternatives and system configurations
- Provided database design and end user tools selection consulting
Data Warehouse Implementation Consultant for Barnett Bank
- Assisted the customer in defining and staffing RS-6000/SP system administration and DB2/PE database administration functions
- Provided customer training
7/93 to 8/96 Wells Fargo Bank
Assistant Vice President, Consulting DBA
- Chief Architect for the design and implementation of a data warehouse for enterprise marketing analysis; application consisted of a 1+ TB DB2/PE parallel database accessed by multiple client server analysis and reporting tools.
- Managed database analysis and design of core financial systems during a 2-year 15-bank conversion and consolidation
- Coordinated and edit final publication of the Data Services DBA Guide
1/91 to 7/93 Walsh America, Ltd. / Pharmaceutical Data Services
Director, Corporate Architect / Systems Architecture Planning
- Developed and maintained the enterprise conceptual models
- Strategic technology planning and information delivery planning for this international pharmaceutical market research company
- Company merged with NDC Health
7/89 to 1/91 Walsh America, Ltd. / Pharmaceutical Data Services
Director, Data Administration and Technology Planning
- Managed 12 analysts responsible for Data Administration, Database Administration, Development and Office Automation Technology
- Created and maintained systems development standards and methodology
- Selected and installed CASE technologies
Western Governors University – BS, CIS / June 30, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
Arizona State University
Under-Graduate Studies / Analysis and Systems Engineering and Business Administration
Mesa Community College
AA / Business Administration and Computer Information Systems
IBM Certified Professional –Senior IT Architect
The Open Group – Master Certified IT Architect (registration 1229/1999-2009)
IBM Technical Education Certification – AIX Systems Administration, Problem Determination and Performance Management, DB2 UDB Administration and Design, DB2/MVS Database Administration